It seems like camping fever has gripped the household. Both my kids have declared their wishes, nay demands, to go camping several times in April and May. Whats more is that they want to bring friends! Whilst this is not a problem per se, it does throw up a few logistical issues.
- Firstly, having 4 kids in the car means the destination cannot be more than say about an hour away, especially as two kids wont be my own! This rules out north/mid wales, devon or cornwall
- Secondly, having 4 kids in the car means either being very careful with kit choice or taking the other car which is much bigger but eats petrol for fun.
- Thirdly, the weather. After a superb March, April has so far been much colder and unsettled. My kids and I are used to rainy camps but not sure about their friends. This could well dictate the chosen campsite
- Fourthly, food. Kit levels inc cooking and tent choices dictate what food I can attempt. If the weather is good, I can take the smaller family tent, just a simple stove and so probably get away with the little car. If the weather is poor then its the bigger tent, more cooking kit and so a bigger car.
- Fifth, the campsite itself. I know of a few basic but great campsites in the local area but again if the weather is poor it could be a bit of a nightmare. If I go “commercial” it’ll cost a small fortune but the kids will have better facilities etc if the weather is iffy.
Whatever I decide re the above, I had better do it soon. I rashly promised my kids we could go on Friday so I have less than a week to prepare for a mega-kids camping trip. Looking forward to it but the eternal worrier/planner in me is trying to prepare for a whole range of variables!!! An accurate long range weather forecast could come in handy here.
As long as it is accurate….!