As you can see, it’s an Akto that’s been fire damaged. This picture is actually at a wildcamp spot in the Black Mountains in South Wales where the fire happened. Basically a group of us went for a wildcamp weekend in June 2008 with gorgeous sunshine and great conditions (probably the best I have had). On the Saturday evening, one of our group, having finished cooking and eating tea, went to wash in the stream 300 yards away. I was siting in my tent 50 feet away and noticed what I thought was steam coming from that tent. Not quite sure, I went to investigate and found that the inner tent of the Akto was on fire and managed to put it out with lots of stamping. The end product was a fire damaged inner and a self inflating mat that looked as if it had had a shark take a bite out of it! Luckily the outer wasnt touched and my companion was able to use the tent later that evening to sleep in. The cause was a gas burner not quite turned completely off after cooking and stored in the porch.
The really bizarre thing about all of this was that the outer didnt get damaged at all and that the inner only burnt in a very localised spot and didnt completely go up in flames. When I found it, the flame was very small and melting the fabric rather than burning it if that makes sense. I was amazed the damage wasnt greater or that the fire wasnt more fierce or quicker to take hold.
The really really bizarre thing about all of this was that the tent isnt even supposed to be fire retardant!
All in all a lucky escape for my companion and a reminder to be careful, especially when cooking near (or in!) your tent.